Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Addressing the Bloggy Blahs and 4 Books I Loved During the Slump

**Disclaimer:  I received a copies of these books in exchange for honest reviews **
I had a bit of a bloggy slump in March. Between the weather and family sicknesses, I got a bit behind and overwhelmed with "promised" reviews. I've learned from this experience to be clear in each of my review requests received from publishers to state that I will "consider the release for review." That important word: consider. I can't do them all. I am also going to only request releases that I am truly interested in. No more "being nice." I was getting too far from the original reason why I began blogging...because I love reading! When I started dreading reading I knew something was wrong. I really wanted to get to some books in my TBR and would drag my feet because I didn't want to have to read books A, B, and C so I could get to it. I got behind and then I was frustrated with being behind (can you see the cycle here?) So here are four releases that I loved and want to make sure to share with my book and bloggy buddies. They deserve longer reviews but I'm afraid that if I don't recognize them now they are going to slip off my radar and I don't want that to happen. I added links to their Goodreads pages so be sure to check them out for more information. 

Title: The Half-Brother
Author: Holly Lecraw
Publisher: Doubleday
Publication Date: February 17, 2015
ISBN: 9780385531955
Number of Pages: 288
How I Got It: from publisher
Format: Kindle and paperback
Goodreads
I loved/hated the stream of consciousness writing and masculine tone but was intrigued throughout the novel with the detailed dynamics of the narrator's family, friends, and students. The academic setting made me wish I would have read this in the autumn but I really can't stop thinking about the prose. I will probably be dissecting this one in my mind for quite a while.


Title: Splinters of Light
Author: Rachael Herron
Publisher: NAL
Publication Date: March 3, 2015
ISBN: 9780451468611
Number of Pages: 464
How I Got It: Dana Kaye of Kaye Publicity
Format: paperback 
Goodreads
Single mom finds out she's dying? I wasn't ready for another FIVE DAYS LEFT (that book ripped my heart out!) This novel wasn't as emotional (still some heart-wrenching scenes) as it was thought provoking. I found myself often drifting off (like the main character but a little different) thinking about how I would want particulars handled if I were in the same situation. It would be a great "ice breaker" or book club selection to discuss bucket lists, end of life wishes, etc. 

Title: Migratory Animals
Author: Mary Helen Specht
Publisher: Harper Perennial 
Publication Date: January 20, 2015
ISBN: 9780062346032
Number of Pages: 320
How I Got It: Requested from author
Format: Kindle and paperback
Goodreads
This book caught my attention last autumn and I was so excited to read it that I skipped over others in my TBR. Totally not like me at all but I loved every page of this novel. A female scientist returns to the States from Nigeria and faces the impending loss of her sister. She believes herself to be one woman in Nigeria but quickly digresses to her previous self when returning to her family. I related with this schism of others' expectations and your true self. This novel was beautiful and I would label it as a non-traditional "chick-lit" book with an intelligent main character and diverse cast of characters.



Title: The Uncanny Reader: Stories from the Shadows
Author: Marjorie Sandor
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: February 24, 2015
ISBN: 9781250041715
Number of Pages: 576
How I Got It: from publisher
Format: paperback
Goodreads
This is another book that I felt I would have loved reading at a different time of year.  I think I will revisit it this October when I'm ready for a little "scary" since I don't really read horror but want a little something unsettling.  This collection is massive but perfect for a nightly short story. This will be on my nightstand all of October.


Share:

No comments

© Ivory Owl Reviews | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig